The course for the Taste of Annandale 5K had to be revised to accommodate stream restoration work by the Fairfax County stormwater department in Mason District Park.
That means the race has to be recertified by USA Track & Field. The new certification number is 2027.
The race, sponsored by BB&T Bank, will start at 10 a.m. at the Kmart parking lot on 4251 John Marr Drive, Annandale.
Runners can register online. Race-day registration and packet pick-up starts at 8:45 a.m. and will end promptly at 9:45. Packets can also be picked up at the Mason Police District at 6507 Columbia Pike, Annandale, on Oct. 13, 7-8:30 p.m.
The registration fee for runners age 15 and older is $20 until Sept. 23. After that date, the fee rises to $35. Registration for runners up to age 14 is $12 until Sept. 23 and $22 after that date. The entry fee includes a T-shirt while supplies last.
Awards will be presented to the top three male and female overall finishers. Awards will also be presented to the top male and female finishers in these age categories: 9 and under, 10-14, 15-18, 19-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, and 60 and up.
Here’s the new course:
• From the Kmart parking lot, turn left onto John Marr Drive
• Right onto Columbia Pike
• Enter Mason District Park and turn left toward the parking lot
• Right at the first “island” in the parking lot
• Right at the fourth “island” in the parking lot
• Right at the end of the island and continue through the parking lot onto the paved road toward the amphitheater
• Right onto a foot path near the restrooms and continue toward the amphitheater
• Right on the path between the trees near the shoe cleaner at the amphitheater
• Left on the path into the tree line and head right at the fork
• Circle the market just into the trees and head back toward the tennis courts
• Left at the shoe cleaner and follow the gravel path around the tennis courts to the gravel road that leads into onto the road just below the parking lot
• Left onto the road that leads back to the entrance of Mason District Park
• Left onto Columbia Pike
• Head to the finish line in the Kmart parking lot.
Part of Columbia Pike will be closed during the race.